Sunday, November 1, 2009

My skin, it's too thin.

So now I've gotten two rejections on my spy-thriller novel. One would have thought I'd have racked up a lot more than that by now. Since these rejections were based on the first 3 chapters (or my whole book) they take a lot longer to get the "no" back than if I was pitching to agents who only wanted a query letter. Those agents guarantee you a "no" before you're completely sure if your email actually sent or not.

Nothing stops me in my tracks faster than a "no." This is my mother's fault on two levels:
1) She trained me so well as a child that to me, "no" means "no." I don't ask someone else, I just stop the behavior. And

2) Mom always told me (and still tells me on a daily basis) what a wonderful, perfect person I am, and that everything I do is perfection. Imagine my surprise when grumpy agents deprived of oxygen in their Manhattan skyscraper offices say my stuff is "not for them."

So, I've been conveniently losing myself in craft-show season, telling myself to knit more kitchen towels. They're heinously ugly, those crocheted-top things that women over sixty hang from the doors of their ovens, but they sell well, so, what's one to do. Not like my stack of papers/novel is going anyplace any time soon. Woe is me LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment