Saturday, May 1, 2010

A green pinky finger

My legendary cheapskateness brought me to try to plant tomatoes from seeds this year, rather than almost grown in Jiffy pots that you can just plop in the ground. I bought the teeny jiffy pots, seed mix, and have hovered over them like a mother hen. I gently mist the dirt several times a day, as it basks in the warmth of my laundry room (and new boiler). I started tomatoes, canteloupe, zucchini, basil, and catnip.

Seeing the first green shoots sprout from the dirt is a potent feeling. Like creating something out of nothing. Every day I rush home from work to see how the sprouts did today, what measurable growth there is.

I never thought I'd enjoy something as pedestrian as gardening, but I'm actually kind of good at it. All of my seed pots are sprouting something, even if I have no idea what it is. Mom's right - should've labeled things. I've got the basil mixed up with the catnip. Might make for some interesting spaghetti. I've got tomato stalks in an old bundt pan. Alyssum in egg cartons. I'm not planning on eating the Alyssum. The only pots not growing are the ones I think I forgot to put seeds in. Other than that, I have to say - my fingernails look much better with a little dirt under them.

No comments:

Post a Comment