Monday, January 23, 2012

Suspicions confirmed.

It's been happening for awhile now.

A cute contestant on "American Idol" would catch my eye, only for me to realize not only would it be barely legal for me to date them, but I crossed into "Eww. Weird" territory and somehow didn't even realize it.

I went to a musical at The Spokane Civic Theater. Before the show, I flipped through the program.

"Hey, who do you think is sleeping with whom?" I asked my friend as I pointed to the cast notes. I'm super-tight with my friend. We see eye-to-eye on almost everything. She's two years younger than my mom.

I turned a page and saw an advertisement for a photography studio featuring a good looking family.

"Oh my GOD!" I said. "See that guy?"

She looked over. "Yeah. Who is he?"

"He was the quarterback of the G-Prep football team this year."

She shrugged. "So?"

I closed the program. My voice was barely a croak. "Eighteen years ago, I used to change his diaper."

Final piece of evidence for the record: I'm turning 30 in a little over a week.

I feel like I was just starting to understand what it meant to be a young woman in her 20s. Maybe that's what it means to no longer be a "young adult" and to just be an "adult"? Just when you think you've got a handle on things, your landscape changes.

Thankfully, some things will always be the same. I'll always love being with friends. I'll always enjoy making fun of myself. Okay, I'll also always enjoy being immature. Whether it's laughing when I shouldn't or embarrassing myself and everyone around me, I'm only just now learning what it means when we say "Age is just a number."

So what am I doing to celebrate my 30th birthday?

I'm going to Disneyland!

Can you believe those jackwagons charge $77 for one day?! Why, back in my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment