Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bite-sized Blackjack.

Last weekend I volunteered to help out at the nearby elementary school's Winter Carnival, having forgotten just how loud a gym full of 6-year-olds can be.

On approaching the volunteer check-in desk, I was greeted with, "Oh! You must be Susan's friend! So good of you to volunteer!"

"No one volunteers with Susan," I answered. "She tells them when and where to be."

The other lady laughed, thinking I was kidding. "We have you at the '21' table," she said. "It's right inside this gym here."

Yes, elementary schools have more than one gym now. Remember to vote "Yes" on your next school building levy.

"You must be my replacement," said a harried-looking woman.

I set my jacket and purse down on the miniature cafeteria table. "That's right," I said. "So, what do I do?"

"It's basically Blackjack," she answered, "but we don't call it Blackjack. That would be condoning gambling."

I raised my eyebrows. "Of course."

"The point of this table is really just an addition game. Oh, can you be sure to return the cards to my room when you're done? Thanks!" She bolted for the door before I could ask what room was hers. Or who she was.

I scruched myself onto the table seat and took stock. Surrounding me were fake fishing booths, plastic bowling, Matchbox car racing, and hopscotch. Kids were lined up to play the other games, none of which involved math.

After a few minutes, I was starting to feel like a weirdo, fiddling with a deck of playing cards larger than most of the kids' heads.

"Hey, YOU!" I hollered at a kid across the room.

He looked up from his slice of pizza.

"Yeah, you. Come over here." (Realization dawns on me that this is how many jail sentences start.)

The kid ambled over.

"You want to play '21.'"

He shook his head.

"Sure you do. Sit down."

Grudgingly, he sat.

"Do you know how to play?" I asked.

"Sure," he said. "It's just Blackjack."

Why does a 7-year-old know this?

I dealt him two cards, one face down, one face up. "Okay," I said. "Are your cards greater than 21 or less than 21?"

He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on the planet.

"What?" I asked.

"Dealer needs to play a hand, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment