Saturday, June 27, 2009

I love Google

Google is great. Since the pledge of allegiance no longer has "Under God" in it, I think we should put in "under Google." Everyone can agree in the search engine's supremacy, and our lives would be severely one-dimensional without it.

One of the things I love best about Google is its autopopulate feature. Type in "Michael" and Google will automatically try to guess what you're thinking. "Jordan? Jackson? McDonald? Myers?"

Sometimes, the results list is quite comical. I'm working on a book, for which I needed to know how long it normally takes for police to get a DNA test back from the lab. I know CSI time is a bit accelerated, so I turned to Google. "How long" I typed in. And the most searched question starting with "How long" autopopulated: "How long does pot stay in your system?"

Have you ever checked medical symptoms online? Perhaps that persistant scratch in between your shoulder blades is a bizarre tropical disease not yet seen this side of the equator. You type in, "Symptoms of" and you will get this for an autopopulated answer: "Symptoms of Pregnancy." I already knew the answer to that one - nine months after you start noticing something is different with your body, a baby falls out.

I googled "What is", just in case those looking for symptoms of pregnancy need to look for the definition of "baby." The first thing that came up under "What is" is "What is Twitter?" Two or three entries down the list, we have, "What is Love?"

If Google can answer "What is Love?", then maybe Google really might be an all-seeing, all-knowing supreme being.

3 comments:

  1. "Since the pledge of allegiance no longer has "Under God" in it..."

    Seriously?? What rock have I been under? I had no idea it had been changed. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to know that I am thinking of you. It's been awhile since you've posted a blog and you said you were going to surgery around this time. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, you aint lie! I heart Google myself.

    ReplyDelete