Friday, March 27, 2009

My dog is a goat, and other discoveries

Spending time in the hospital plays havoc on one's ability to sleep soundly. It makes sense, really - a few weeks of someone tiptoeing into your room in the dead of night, putting unknown substances into a tube in your arm, with you to jerk awake when the cold hits your vein...Needless to say, I jump awake at the slightest noise.



About a year ago, I sent away for a box of Nascar-approved foam earplugs. You pinch them until they fit into the narrow of your ear, and they expand, creating a lovely, pillowy buffer between you and the outside world.



The trouble? Truman really, really likes these earplugs. Especially if they're recently used.



I came home from work one day, and made the discovery: Trumie had gotten onto my bed, leaned over onto my bookshelf, and helped himself to not one of the cellophane-wrapped packages of two earplugs, but six packages. Wrappers were strewn across my room.



"TrumieRoomieRoom! What are you doing! Where did you hide Mommie's earplugs?"



I looked under the bed. I looked under the dresser. I looked in every conceivable hiding place that a dog with 3 inch legs might use.



Realization dawned.



Then fear. Truman weighs eight pounds. He's a tiny little man. Twelve foam earplugs could go a long way toward stopping up the little guy.



My dog's stomach, it turns out, is really a goat's stomach. For the next two days, his poopie was surprisingly weightless, consisting of little more than brown-covered earplugs, completely intact earplugs mind you, attached end-to-end by his digestive matter.



This is not the grossest culinary treat he partakes of, I am sorry to say. He doesn't go so far as to engage in coprophagia (it means "eating one's own feces." "Coprophagia" sounds neater). He does enjoy the Kitty Roca, however.


I scoop. And I scoop, and I scoop. But my scooper is not as quick as my cats' poopers, and Truman is on the scent! I see him raise his nose, sniff, and sneak off toward the litter box. I race after him. "Truuuuumie!" I catch up to him, of course, but not before he's got a mouthful, and face it, who is going to wrestle that out of a dog's mouth?



My coworkers told me about some pills that you can feed your cat to make it's poo not taste so good.



There's just really nothing to say about that, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment