Saturday, May 9, 2009

Graduation Day


I have officially retired from school. I graduated today with my Masters in Communication and Leadership. Mom, Doug, Grandma, PseudoMom Sandy, WorkMom Annette, and Grandpa were all on hand to see the result of $17,000 worth of debt.

The weather was extraordinary! I don't usually get all that excited about weather. WorkMom Annette has The Weather Channel dot com "favorited" on her work computer. Um, lame. : ) But this was a day. Blue sky, temperate, hardly a cloud in the sky, and everyone happy and carefree. It was like Woodstock, only without the drugs, sex, mud, and music.

Two people I had gone to high school with also received their Masters today. It was really nice actually; it kind of felt like I had finally "caught up" with where I might have been anyway had I not gotten sick. I know the reality - I am far beyond where I would have been had that not happened, pragmatically, emotionally, and spiritually. But it's always nice having reality presented to you in unassailable fact - especially when that fact is you have done good. You have done right by your parents, right by your community, right by yourself.

I'm sure as heck not going for my doctorate, although Grandpa only seems to brave the tundra of the Northwest to see me graduate from something. I told him I would have to go to jail, so that he could come see me graduate from parole. Cue crickets chirping.

What IS next, though? I've got some huge aspirations for my writing career. I know it's a really long shot that it'll come to fruition, but, had you asked me nine years ago if I was going to have a Masters...talk about a long shot.

"If you don't dream big, what's the point of dreaming?"-David Cook

1 comment: