Monday, May 4, 2009

I must really hate my money

I've tried internet dating sites several times in the past few years. I don't suppose that the horror stories from internet dating are any worse than those from regular dating, but not having the (mis?)fortune to be asked out on regular dates, I wouldn't know.

The Great Give-Up of 2008 ended when a guy I had dated for several months dumped me. His breakup line? "Now that I have more confidence, I'd like to see what else is out there." Ouch. The guy before, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize he was trying to dump me when he would end every chit-chatty conversation with, "Yeah, well, keep in touch."

Maybe things have changed Out There. Maybe living on my own, working full time, all Master-degreed makes me a more suitable mate for the guys I set my sights on (as opposed to those I acquiesce to. Oh come on, we've all had those).

I spent $101 for a 6 month match.com subscription, with the guarantee that if I don't find someone special within six months, my next six months are free. Given that and my track record, $101 for 12 months isn't a bad deal.

I've emailed with a couple of guys so far. One I sent a really nice, "It was great getting to know you but I don't think we have enough in common" email. I got back a bitchy, "I thought we had a lot in common. Guess not. Guess I'll stop emailing you." Yes, that would be the point. Thank you.

And I've spoken to two guys on the phone. One guy was probably very nice, just a little too quiet for my tastes. When people are quiet around me, I feel that I've bored them into a coma. I try to avoid feeling like that. The other guy was doing okay, coasting along in the conversation, and then he lit himself on fire and torpedoed into the depths of my dialtone.

"So why haven't you had any long term relationships?" He asked me.
"Um, I dunno. Haven't met the right person, I guess!" I was trying to be all light and fun, not serious and weird, on the first phone conversation.
"No, seriously. Why haven't you?"
"Geez. Um, I don't know. I don't care a whole lot about my physical appearance - I make sure I'm presentable and that's about it."
"That could be the problem."
wow.
"Yeah. Maybe that's it."
"Are you bad in bed?"
"Excuse me?!"
"Are you bad in bed? If you're bad in bed, that could definitely be why you haven't had any long term relationships."

I wish I could say I ended the conversation right then and there. I was searching for a polite out, which surprises me, as asking me about my bedroom prowess wasn't exactly polite in the first place. But as my mom always told me, two wrongs don't make a right. So, I politely got off the phone.

I don't know what I want. Is it so wrong to be looking anyway?

3 comments:

  1. Before Dan, I dated some young guys that sound exactly like these dudes. However, I also dated some older men (8-16 years older) and it was a much better experience and a lot of fun lol. They didn't work out but not because they were immature! Sounds like these guys aren't as smart as you. You need someone to challenge you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie your blog is great. I love it :-)

    The online boys thus far are stupid, but look at the bright side, six months of Match is plenty of time for lots of great blog posts. Then, I guess you can use the second six months for finding true love.

    See, it works for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys!!! The support is MUCH needed, let me tell you : )

    ReplyDelete