Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Enough is enough, James!

I just finished reading James Patterson's latest novel, "Alex Cross's Trial." One would think this book would have his Detective Alex Cross as the main character, right?

No.

James Patterson has come up with yet another way to circumvent actually writing a book, and instead market 400 pieces of bound paper.

He's been a shameless user of cowriters for many years now. I don't have a problem with that in and of itself, although I do think the mark of a true master is being able to play all positions in baseball. I don't think a designated hitter should be able to call themselves a ball player, just like how an idea man shouldn't call himself an author.

But I digress. The latest Patterson novel is not about any "trial" involving "Alex Cross." Instead, it is a period novel set in the early 1900s, ostensibly written by Alex Cross.

Oh come ON. If you and your wingman want to write a period novel, write a period novel! Don't use some cute tie-in with your previous works, hoping to dupe a mystery reader into buying your gimmicky book. If you want to throw crap out there, be honest about it. If Patterson took himself at all seriously as a writer, he would title his next book, "Crap", and let it sell on the merits of the writing and storytelling alone.

I'm just frustrated because I haven't heard from an agent yet, and I'm assuming that means my book is a "no" (to her, anyway). Patterson just signed a 3 year doeal with his publisher for 17 books. Yes, there is no typo there. Seventeen books. Over five books a year. Approximately one book every other month. He's crowding the marketplace, ensuring that start-up authors don't have any room in which to get their chance.

I have NO complaints with annual authors. Baldacci, Connelly, Nora Roberts...I buy their books faithfully (okay, you're right, I'm too cheap to do that. I rent them faithfully from the library). it's just that x-number of books get published in each genre per year, and I find it horrid that Patterson is okay with taking up such a majority of that "x" with his increasing mediocrity.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Patterson. While in the hospital I begged my mother to get me this book so I wouldn't die of boredom. I read it in a day or two (because of the drugs you know, lol). Anyways, I was pissed. I kept waiting for Alex Cross to make some sort of appearance. None. Zilch. The book itself was ok (except for the unbelievable slight romance between Moody and Ben but whatever - I mean, I thought she was like 16). Anyway, I feel your pain on this one. I have read every Patterson book out there (well except for that crap sci fi series he started, I fell out of that one), and also the exception of Swimsuit and the newest Women's Murder Club book, 8 something. Ok, done rambling...

    ReplyDelete