Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm a murderer.

Last evening, I snuffed out approximately 2,143 lives.

I was mowing my lawn, concentrating on overlapping my mower's path enough to not leave strips of tall grass in between. I don't want to overlap too much, as that's just unneccessary work and time with the motor going. Time is gas, and gas is money! But I kind of completely missed overlapping last time, and my poor yard looked like a high school running track. I couldn't even look into my backyard - I was blinded by memories of being passed by the most overweight person in my grade, me huffing and puffing to catch up.

Out of nowhere, I heard a dull buzz. I looked to the grass directly in front of my mower, and saw a swarm of mosquitoes begin to levitate from the ground, each mosquito the size of a fifty-cent piece.

I did what any self-respecting girl would do. I ran.

Unfortunately, the mower was still running, and the grab bar was still in my hands. I mowed directly over the swarm, catching them in the whirl of the blades. I pictured the blades taking apart the poor souls, the mosquito families bidding a desperate goodbye to each other, the blades dripping with their blood.

I stopped the mower and had a moment of silence. We're all God's creatures. Every single living thing on this planet is a servant - we coexist to help each other succeed in this world. Who the heck do I think I am, causing death for my own perceived needs?

Wait a sec...mosquito blood? That's probably my blood. Or my dog's blood. I scratched at my neck. Shrugging, I pulled my mower's cord and let Darwin take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment