Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Link and the Bean

My black cat came into the room, a white string hanging from her mouth. She looked proud.

"Ellie Bean, what's in your mouth?"

I tried to recall what I may have left laying around that was white and shreddable.

She rubbed against my legs. I reached down and picked her up around her middle. I flipped her over onto her back and cradled her like a baby. Her four paws kneaded at the air.

I put my hand to her little mouth and removed what was in her mouth.

The string was about six inches long, and quite coarse.

Wait a minute...

"Link, come here baby cat. Let mommie look at your face."

I set down Bean and hefted Link up to eye level. His pupils grew large as he stared at me.

The whiskers on the left side of his mouth fanned out in contentment. On the right side, they were content, except for one which bent to the ground like a broken antennae. Next to it was a little black hole.

Watson, I think we have a match.

No comments:

Post a Comment